Friday, February 19, 2010

Ooops!

It just slipped out. We were talking to Kyle’s guitar instructor about Kyle being left-handed and the fact that neither David nor I are left-handed so the instructor asked where Kyle got “it” from and I said, “Well, I’m adopted so I don’t really know about my family history.” Kyle’s head turned like it was on a swivel. “You’re adopted?” he stammered. Uh, yeah. He stood there for a moment or two letting it sink in and then he was whisked away for his guitar lesson. And we haven’t talked about it since. Not exactly the “learning experience” I envisioned our adoption discussion to be.

Just last summer I had lunch with my brother (who is also adopted) and asked him how he had discussed being adopted with his own children (14 and 16) and he said that it wasn’t an actual discussion, more like a fact statement during some regular family discussion that led to a few questions and that was it. I mean it’s not like some big family secret or something – we’ve always known we were adopted, I don’t remember a time when I didn’t know. I had just hoped to have a more structured discussion about it – not a slip of the tongue in a music store!

Anyway, all that to say I plan to bring it up again with Kyle – let him ask questions if he wants and try to answer them honestly. What makes this all the more interesting is it came about at a time when I’ve been dealing with developments in my own adoption history. Things I’m not quite ready to talk about, but I’m getting there.

***

On another note – wow, it’s been a long time since I’ve updated my blog! Damn Facebook!

4 comments:

Melanie D. said...

It hasn't ever been anything that big...but I know what you mean. As my B gets older and our conversations more mature, things don't ever seem to go like I thought they would.

Lori Allberry said...

Hiii Lori, I'm so excited to follow your blogs now!!! =)

Thank You for your sweet, sweet compliments on my blog!

You are now in the drawing for the giveaway, did you realize that? =)

♥Lori

Donna said...

Funny how things go, isn't it? I'm sure you'll find just the right words when you need them! And take heart...this might make you smile...Kendall (now 18) asked me the other day if we ever had the "birds and the bees" talk! WT??? Are you kidding me? After I picked up my jaw from my lap, I smiled and said, well of course we did honey, on many occasions.

And she said that she didn't really have much memory of it...she just always "knew" the stuff she was supposed to know! lol:P Is that precious or what? And I thought I had planned and said just the right things to her to make it one of those unforgettable mother-daughter talks! ;) What was I thinking?

hippmom said...

Today I thought - "boy, it's been a long while since I checked Lori's blog". Well, I have missed a lot of posts. Just one. Is facebook causing the demise of the blog?